Last Updated on November 29, 2009 by Hanna Trafford
This is an old time favourite! You can prepare it, bake it and freeze it for later – if you don’t feel like serving “something turkey”so close after the holidays. I have tired it both way – baked and then just defrosted and re-heated in the oven, or freezing it unbaked and then baking it when ready to serve. Either way – that little work right now rewards you with quick, easy and delicious dinner!
Old Fashioned Turkey Pie:
4 cups cubed of cooked turkey
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, diced
2 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
3 cups of chicken broth
2/3 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream, divided
1 tablespoon of minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- In a large saucepan, saute the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended and gradually add broth.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the turkey pieces, peas, 1/2 cup cream, parsley, garlic salt and pepper.
- Spoon into two ungreased 9-in. pie plates with the bottom crust in place.
- Roll out pastry to fit top of each pie and place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Cut out a decorative center or cut slits in pastry.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and remaining cream; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
If you are using frozen unbaked pie:
Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges of crust loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; remove foil. Bake 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Hape this recipe will work out as great for you as it always works for me! Print it out today and enjoy delicious turkey pie for dinner tonight or at a later date!
[…] Old Fashioned Turkey Pie […]