Last Updated on August 4, 2017 by Hanna Trafford
This is one of my favourites – actually, to be honest, I try not to make it very often because I love eating it too much!
Try it and let me know if you could stay away from it – especially when it is still warm!
Old-fashioned Baked Rice Pudding:
- 1/2 cup of long grain rice
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of raisins
- Stir all ingredients (except raisins) together in a buttered 1-1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake in a slow oven (300F) for 1 hour without disturbing the rice.
- Reduce temperature to 250F and continue baking for 1-1/2 hours more.
- Add raisins 1/2 hour before removing from the oven. You can also sprinkle either cinnamon or more nutmeg over the top just before the pudding finishes baking.
Hope you enjoy this great old fashioned dessert (or a snack for any time) – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is very welcomed and much appreciated
If you enjoy rice pudding as much as I do, I have also compiled a list of recipes with different variations. Enjoy!