Last Updated on August 16, 2017 by Hanna Trafford
There is something very special about making your own spaghetti sauce. It smells great when you are cooking it and certainly taste better than one you get straight out of a jar. To make a good spaghetti sauce, you need a good number of ingredients as you will see in this recipe. But it is worth it – let me know if you agree after you have taken the effort.
And just a little hint – put the leftovers into a Ziplock bag and freeze it – its great defrosted as well!
Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 2/3 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- 1/2 lb. of ground pork
- 1-28 oz. can of tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 1-8 oz. of tomato sauce
- 1-3-1/2 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed chillies
- 16 oz. of spaghetti
- Saute vegetable in oil until onion is golden.
- Add beef and pork and cook until lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients. mix and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti and if desired, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Note: If more liquid is needed, add water.
I hope you enjoy this Meat Sauce as much as I do. See below for related recipes! Comment if you make any changes and let me know how you do.
- How to Make Eggplant Parmesan (simplycooking.wordpress.com)
- Recipe by David Herbert: Polpette (telegraph.co.uk)
- Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes (simplycooking.wordpress.com)
- Recipe Review: Pasta alla Norma from Cook’s Illustrated (thekitchn.com)