There is something very special about making your own spaghetti sauce. It smells great when you are cooking it and certainly taste better than one you get straight out of a jar. To make a good spaghetti sauce, you need a good number of ingredients as you will see in this recipe. But it is worth it – let me know if you agree after you have taken the effort.
And just a little hint – put the leftovers into a Ziplock bag and freeze it – its great defrosted as well!
Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 2/3 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- 1/2 lb. of ground pork
- 1-28 oz. can of tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 1-8 oz. of tomato sauce
- 1-3-1/2 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed chillies
- 16 oz. of spaghetti
- Saute vegetable in oil until onion is golden.
- Add beef and pork and cook until lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients. mix and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti and if desired, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Note: If more liquid is needed, add water.
I hope you enjoy this Meat Sauce as much as I do. See below for related recipes! Comment if you make any changes and let me know how you do.
- How to Make Eggplant Parmesan (simplycooking.wordpress.com)
- Recipe by David Herbert: Polpette (telegraph.co.uk)
- Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes (simplycooking.wordpress.com)
- Recipe Review: Pasta alla Norma from Cook’s Illustrated (thekitchn.com)