Last Updated on
These biscuits are perfect for a warm summer day breakfast or brunch – or for “anytime” snack! The turn out beautifully flaky and have a subtle but pleasant tang that comes from both the lemon juice in the dough and the accompanying lemon butter. Add them to your next breakfast or brunch menu or serve them as an afternoon treats!
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup of shortening
- 1 cup of milk
- 6 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopper onion (optional)
- In a large bow, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the milk and lemon juice until just moistened.
- Turn the dough onto floured surface and knead 8-10 times.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2-1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
To make the lemon butter:
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients until blended.
- Serve with warm biscuits.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, suggestions and experiences. Your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!