- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- 2 1/2 cups dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 8 cloves garlic, halved
- 3 onions, quartered
- 4 fresh green chile peppers
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large, stewing pot, place whole chicken, 1 1/2 cup sherry, stock, garlic, and onions. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place green chilies in a roasting pan, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until skins begin to blacken. Peel and seed the peppers.
- Remove chicken from pot, and set aside to cool. Add green chilies and tomatoes to simmering stock.
- When chicken is cool enough to touch, remove the meat from the bones. Return meat to pot. Also, add 1 cup more sherry, and salt to taste. Simmer at least 30 minutes more. Serve with a little shredded cheese on top.