Last Updated on
This bread is great for just about anything – make a sandwich from it or use it warmed up for dinner. You can change herbs as well when you make it – depending on what you like. And if you want to make it extra special, add about 1/2 – 3/4 cups of cheddar cheese, cut into little cubes! And the bonus here is that this bread is very easy to put together and the aroma of it, when it is baking is wonderful!
Fresh Herb Bread:
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 package of regular or fast-acting dry yeast (about 2-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1-1/4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of shortening (or room temperature butter or margarine)
- 2 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh or ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary leaves
- ½ teaspoon of chopped fresh or ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine at room temperature, if desired
- Spray the bottom and sides of 8×4 or 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, stir 2 cups of flour, sugar, salt and yeast with wooden spoon until well mixed. In a 1-quart saucepan, heat the water on medium heat until very warm. Add the water, shortening, parsley, rosemary and thyme to the flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, stopping frequently to scrape batter from sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula, until mixture is moistened.
- Beat on medium speed for about 1 more minute, continuing to scrape the bowl.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour until smooth.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan, using rubber spatula to scrape batter form the bowl. Round the top of loaf by patting it with floured hands. Lightly spray a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray; cover the pan loosely with the plastic wrap, sprayed side down.
- Let rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Move oven rack to the middle oven position and heat oven to 375F.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until top of the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped with finger.
- Immediately remove the loaf from baking pan to a cooling rack, placing the loaf top side up.
- For a softer crust, brush top of loaf with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Serve warm or cooled.
Hope you enjoyed this bread recipe – I will welcome your comments, suggestions and experience – thanks for sharing!