Last Updated on
Here is a great recipe for a delicious Thanksgiving dessert your family and guest will love. You may not have thought of using butternut squash to make a dessert, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just what a great flavour it brings to this recipe. The addition of cinnamon and nutmeg increases the wonderful aroma of caramel… and for a special treat yet, put some freshly whipped whipping cream on top – you just have to try this one!
Thanksgiving Caramel Custard
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 lb)
2-3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
1 cup 10% cream
1/2 cup milk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds.
- Place, cut side up, on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 25 minutes.
- Turn over; bake until soft and fragrant, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out flesh and place in food processor; purée until silky smooth.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan over medium-high heat, stir 1 cup (250 mL) of the sugar with 1/2 cup (125 mL) water until dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook, without stirring but brushing down side of pan with brush dipped in cold water, until amber, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Immediately divide among eight 6-oz (175 mL) ramekins or custard cups, swirling to coat bottoms and 1/2 inch (1 cm) up sides.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together 1 cup (250 mL) of the squash purée eggs, yolks, cream, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and remaining sugar until smooth.
- Strain through sieve into large measuring cup; pour into prepared ramekins.
- Place ramekins in large roasting pan; pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Cover with foil; poke several holes in top.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until centres no longer jiggle, about 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from water; let cool.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe, please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated