Last Updated on December 22, 2022 by Hanna Trafford
The advantage of including some tasteful breads in your plan for Christmas baking is that they are suitable for addition to meal any time or any occassion.
I have included a few creative recipes here that will delight your friends and family:
Cranberry Orange Loaf
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 -1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest
- 1 -1/2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup of pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup of margarine, softened
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in orange zest, cranberries, and pecans.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Stir in orange juice.
- Beat in flour mixture until just moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the bread springs back when lightly touched.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Wrap in plastic when completely cool.
- 1 -1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 -2/3 cups of flour
- 1 ounce of active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of candied citrus peel
- 1/2 cup of candied cherries
- Scald milk.
- Add sugar, butter, and salt, and cool to lukewarm.
- Add 2 whole eggs, and 2 yolks.
- Add to 3 cups flour and yeast in food processor.
- Process and let rise until double.
- Add cardamom, raisins, citron, and cherries, and rest of flour.
- Process and put on floured board and knead.
- Let rise in greased bowl.
- When risen, cut into 3-4 pieces.
- Roll each into an oval, butter, and fold in half lengthwise.
- Put on greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise until double.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Remove to rack.
- When cool, frost with white butter frosting and decorate with candied cherry halves and sprinkle with coloured sugar.
Christmas Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1- 1/4 cups of mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Beat in the bananas just until combined.
- Stir in the walnuts, chocolate chips and cherries.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Hope you enjoy these recipes – if there is a special recipe you are looking for, let me know and I will be happy to find it for you! And as always, your comments, suggestions and experiences are very welcomed!