Last Updated on
The advantage of including some tasteful breads in your plan for Christmas baking is that they are suitable for addition to meal any time or any occassion.
I have included a few creative recipes here that will delight your friends and family:
Cranberry Orange Loaf
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 -1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest
- 1 -1/2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup of pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup of margarine, softened
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in orange zest, cranberries, and pecans.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Stir in orange juice.
- Beat in flour mixture until just moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the bread springs back when lightly touched.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Wrap in plastic when completely cool.
- 1 -1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 -2/3 cups of flour
- 1 ounce of active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of candied citrus peel
- 1/2 cup of candied cherries
- Scald milk.
- Add sugar, butter, and salt, and cool to lukewarm.
- Add 2 whole eggs, and 2 yolks.
- Add to 3 cups flour and yeast in food processor.
- Process and let rise until double.
- Add cardamom, raisins, citron, and cherries, and rest of flour.
- Process and put on floured board and knead.
- Let rise in greased bowl.
- When risen, cut into 3-4 pieces.
- Roll each into an oval, butter, and fold in half lengthwise.
- Put on greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise until double.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Remove to rack.
- When cool, frost with white butter frosting and decorate with candied cherry halves and sprinkle with coloured sugar.
Christmas Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1- 1/4 cups of mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Beat in the bananas just until combined.
- Stir in the walnuts, chocolate chips and cherries.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Hope you enjoy these recipes – if there is a special recipe you are looking for, let me know and I will be happy to find it for you! And as always, your comments, suggestions and experiences are very welcomed!