Fresh from the oven tea biscuits are one of best treats you can serve to your family with just about any meal. And believe it – they are very easy to make and just a few basic ingredients will do. Adding different flavours is relatively easy as well – and if you keep baking them, you will find out just what is good and what isn’t such a good idea to add. I have put together easy directions and some variation you can try today.
Quick Golden Biscuits:
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 4 tablespoon of shortening
- 1 cup of milk
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 butter knives.
- Add milk
- Stir lightly with a wooden spoon until you can form a loose ball
- Put on floured surface and knead gently
- Flatten dough into rectangle and fold over (folding it will make your biscuits higher
- Remember – you can adjust the amounts of shortening and milk to your preference – little more shortening or milk will make the biscuits moister. Also – a pinch more baking powder will make higher biscuits.
- Cut out rounds and turn, lightly squeezing each biscuit until 1 to 1-1/2 inches high
- Put your biscuits on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350F until golden brown. To make sure that the bottoms don’t get too dark, double your baking sheet.
Butter Biscuits: Substitute butter for the shortening
Cheddar Biscuits: Add shredded cheddar cheese
Bacon and Cheese Biscuits: Add precooked, crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese
Whole Wheat Biscuits: Replace white flour with whole wheat flours
Raisin Biscuits: Add raisins at the flour mixing stage
Cinnamon Biscuits: Roll out the dough into rectangle and sprinkle on brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll into rounds and cut into slices no less that 1 inch thick. You can ice these with butter icing when cooled.
Casserole Topping: Top casseroles with biscuit crust and dot with butter to add a real homemade taste to your casseroles. Cook your casserole as you normally would and place the biscuit crust on top about 15-20 minute4s before you are ready to take it out of the oven.
Dumplings: You can use biscuit recipe to make dumplings., but substitute butter or marganrine for the shortening.
Hope you have enjoyed these recipes – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and much appreciated