Last Updated on August 3, 2010 by Hanna Trafford
Fresh from the oven tea biscuits are one of best treats you can serve to your family with just about any meal. And believe it – they are very easy to make and just a few basic ingredients will do. Adding different flavours is relatively easy as well – and if you keep baking them, you will find out just what is good and what isn’t such a good idea to add. I have put together easy directions and some variation you can try today.
Quick Golden Biscuits:
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 4 tablespoon of shortening
- 1 cup of milk
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 butter knives.
- Add milk
- Stir lightly with a wooden spoon until you can form a loose ball
- Put on floured surface and knead gently
- Flatten dough into rectangle and fold over (folding it will make your biscuits higher
- Remember – you can adjust the amounts of shortening and milk to your preference – little more shortening or milk will make the biscuits moister. Also – a pinch more baking powder will make higher biscuits.
- Cut out rounds and turn, lightly squeezing each biscuit until 1 to 1-1/2 inches high
- Put your biscuits on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350F until golden brown. To make sure that the bottoms don’t get too dark, double your baking sheet.
Butter Biscuits: Substitute butter for the shortening
Cheddar Biscuits: Add shredded cheddar cheese
Bacon and Cheese Biscuits: Add precooked, crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese
Whole Wheat Biscuits: Replace white flour with whole wheat flours
Raisin Biscuits: Add raisins at the flour mixing stage
Cinnamon Biscuits: Roll out the dough into rectangle and sprinkle on brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll into rounds and cut into slices no less that 1 inch thick. You can ice these with butter icing when cooled.
Casserole Topping: Top casseroles with biscuit crust and dot with butter to add a real homemade taste to your casseroles. Cook your casserole as you normally would and place the biscuit crust on top about 15-20 minute4s before you are ready to take it out of the oven.
Dumplings: You can use biscuit recipe to make dumplings., but substitute butter or marganrine for the shortening.
Hope you have enjoyed these recipes – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and much appreciated