I figured even my little black and very active puppy MikMik deserves a homemade treat! You can make these dog cookies easily – the bonus is that they aid in dog’s fresh breath. And think about packaging them in nice tins, labelling them with names of your friend’s pet and giving them for special occasions. After all – Christmas will be here before we know it!
Dog’s Breath Biscuits:
- 1 cup of rolled oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of butter, softened
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup of minced fresh parsley
- In a bowl, whisk oats, cornmeal,. flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter with peanut butter and beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in flour mixture, mint and parsley and make soft dough.
- Divide in half, wrap and refrigerate until firm – about 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- On floured surface, roll out your dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using bone shapes cookie cutter, cut out shapes.
- Arrange on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 325F until golden brown and firm – 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer to racks and cool.
Hope your special friend enjoys these – please send me your comments, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated