This recipe can take you back to your childhood…. remember the delicious crunch and taste of candied apples. You can go to your local supermarket and buy the kit to make candy apples – or you can make your own from scratch. And do you wonder which ones are better? Try it – it really is easy!
Here is what you will need:
- ¾ cups of water
- 10 apples
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- ½ cup of light corn syrup
- 8 drops of red food colouring
- 10 popsicle sticks
- Greased baking sheets
- Buy good, firm apples – like Granny Smith’s
- Wash apples, remove stems and dry thoroughly with a towel
- Carefully insert one popsicle stick into center of each apple. Push stick at the top where stem would be and set apples aside.
- Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan. Set saucepan on a burner turned to low or medium low heat.
- Stir mixture constantly until all sugar is dissolved.
- Let mixture cook – without further stirring it for 30-45 minutes – until a spoonful dropped in a glass of water hardens immediately or until mixture reaches 275F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in vanilla and food colouring very quickly.
- Dip apples immediately into hot sugar mixture, holding each apple by the stick and turning it so that it gets coated evenly. Let excess candy mixture drip back into pan.
- Set coated apples on greased baking sheet with sticks pointing up until candy hardens.
For more seasonal recipes, check out:
Hope you will enjoy these recipes – please send in your comments, suggestionsa nd experiences. Your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated