Last Updated on April 13, 2009 by Hanna Trafford
Here is a little something different – and very, very delicious! And another thing – it is made in a slow cooker so it’s one of those recipes that take minimum time consumption. Get it ready tonight and have a great dinner for your family or friends for tomorrow!
Homemade Seafood Chowder:
1 lb. of boneless salt cod or salt haddock fillets
3 tbsp. of butter
1 large leek, chopped
3 each – carrots and celery, diced
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon each – dried thyme and pepper
Pinch – each nutmeg and cayenne pepper
1 lb. of deveined large raw shrimp
1/4 cup of minced fresh parsley
1 cup of whipping cream
- Soak fish is water at room temperature for 24 hours, changing water several times. Drain and cut into chunks – place in slow cooker.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat, saute onion and leek until softened and onion turns golden on edges – about 10 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, pepper. nutmeg, cayenne and 7 cups of water to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender – about 6- 8 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in shrimp and parsley, cover and cook on high until shrimp are pink – 8-10 minutes.
- In saucepan, bring cream to boil; stir into chowder.
This recipe will make 8 – 10 servings.