Last Updated on December 22, 2022 by Hanna Trafford
When I made the Ginger cake, I had some fresh ginger left over – and of course, I didn’t want to just discard it. I found this recipe for Candied Ginger and I am going to try it. If you are doing the same, please share the results!
You can also consider adding this great snack to your Christmas treats list – I am sure it will be a hit!
Candied Ginger Recipe:
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water to a boil over medium heat
- Continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves – about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, slice 2 pieces (about 6 inch each – about 8 oz.) of peeled, fresh ginger crosswise very thinly (about 1/8 inch thick. You should have about 1 cup
- Add ginger slices to pan, simmer over medium heat until translucent and tender – 20-25 minutes
- With slotted spoons. transfer ginger to a wire rack set over a baking sheet lines with parchment or waxed paper.
- Spread pieces so they are not touching and let them drain
- Reserve ginger syrup (let it cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month)
- Pour 3/4 cups of sugar into a small bowl, coat ginger slices, one or two at a time in the sugar.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one month
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, suggestions and experiences – your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!