Last Updated on September 8, 2017 by Hanna Trafford
It’s the time of the year to start thinking about back to school days again. Here are a few tips for parents to make those first days of school easier – especially for the little ones, who are just starting their educational journey!
The first day of school can be quite stressful – for the child and for parents. Especially if we are talking about a younger child changing schools. Here are a few simple tips that are easy to follow and will for sure help to avoid uncomfortable and stressful situations:
- If the school is new to your child, make arrangements to take a tour before the school starts
- Meet the child’s teacher – if you can’t do it in person, schedule at least a telephone conversation
- If your child has any medical conditions – and that includes allergies, finalize them with the school nurse
- The night before the first day of school pack your child’s backpack with his help – then there are no questions locating important items
- Put your child to bed early the day before school – if he or she has a tendency to be anxious and stress, fatigue will aggravate the situation
- On the first day of school make sure your child wakes up early enough to allow plenty of time to get ready and have a good breakfast
- Pack a nutritious lunch and sneak in a little love note – especially for the younger child
- You may want to consider driving your child to school for the first day – even if plan is to use alternative transportation later
- Walk into the classroom with the younger child, greet the teacher and introduce your child and yourself
- Remind your child what time you will be back to pick him or her up
- If there are other parents present, introduce yourself to them
- And whatever you do – do not be late!