Peaches are one of the most popular fruits and this is the season when you can see them everywhere. They can be used in a number of recipes, making delicious pies, cakes, desserts, salads, cobblers,breakfast toppings – the variety is pretty much endless.
Peaches spoil quickly, so make sure you buy only the quantity you will be able to use in a short time. When selecting the fruit, pick the ones that are fragrant and give slightly to pressure. Definitely avoid peaches that are blemished, bruised or have green coloring.
Store your peaches in a refrigerator for 3-5 days and remove about 30 minutes before eating – that will bring out the full flavour. If you get peaches that are not completely ripe, store them at room temperature .
To remove the peach skin, you could simply peel it off with a utility knife, but this process also removes quite a bit of flesh. To best remove the skin, follow these simple directions:
- Cut a small slit in the upper portion of the skin
- Place peaches in a heat safe bowl and pour boiling water to cover them. Leave them in for about 30 seconds, then submerge them in ice cold water – that will stop the cooking process.
- Remove peaches from cold water and using a small paring knife, pull skin off, best is to start at the top of the peach and pull downward.
Another way to peel peaches is to loosen the skin by placing them into a microwave for 15 seconds at full power and allowing them to cool for 2 minutes before peeling.
To remove a pit of a peach:
- Cut around the perimeter (follow the natural indentation) , down to the pit using a small knife.
- Begin the cut at the stem of the peach.
- Slice around the entire perimeter
- The pit will remain in one half of the peach when the halves are separated
- Twist the peach halves in opposite directions until they separate from each other
- The pit will remain in one half of the peach
- Remove the pit using a knife or your fingers
Easy Peach Pie Recipe
- 6 cups of peeled, sliced peaches
- 1-1/2 cups of sugar (or more if you want the pie sweeter)
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Roll out the pie crust to 2 rounds and place one into 10 inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, sugar, salt and flour,
- Pour peach filling into the pie plate, mounting the centre.
- Cover with the second rolled out pastry round, seal and flute as desired.
- Cut slits at the top of the pie and brush the top (not the edges) with milk for lighter crust or beaten egg with darker golden crust and sprinkle with either coarse or vanilla sugar.
- Place on baking sheet (to catch any dripping during baking) and bake for 20 minutes
- Reduce heat to 350F and bake for additional 40 minutes – start checking your pie after 30 minutes. When it starts bubbling – it is done.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature and add vanilla ice cream for extra treat!
For another special treat, try Homemade Peach Streusel Pie Recipe
There are more great peach recipes on this site – all you have to do is to use the Recipe Search button at the top of each page and try them all!
Hope you have enjoyed the information and the recipe – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your inpout is always welcomed and very much appreciated