Few garden and farm goodies are as eagerly anticipated as the first sweet, ripe tomatoes. You can stuff perfectly ripe tomatoes with variety of cheeses to make an easy light yet very, very satisfying dinner.
- 6-8 tomatoes (depends on size)
- 1 cup of diced mortadella sausage or ham
- 1 cup of fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of diced aged Provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Pinch of each salt and pepper
- Cut slice from stem of tomatoes
- Using spoon, hollow out tomatoes, scooping seeds and flesh into fine sieve set over a bowl, reserving juices and discarding solids
- Mix together mortadella, bread crumbs,cheese,parsley,basil,oil,salt,pepper and 1.4 cup of the reserved tomato juice.
- Stuff tomatoes with mixture
- Place in greased baking dish large enough to hold tomatoes snugly in single layer
- Bake in 400F oven until tomatoes are tender – 25-30 minutes
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated