It is hard sometimes to figure out what to do with plums – and they are an awesome tasting fruit! Here is a recipe for a great upside down cake – it turns out beautifully moist and delicious!
Old Fashioned Upside Down Plum Cake:
6-10 large firm purple plums
1/2 cup of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of butter, melted
2/3 cup of butter, softened
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon of grated orange rind
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1-3/4 cups of flour
2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
2/3 cup of milk
- Half and pit plums. Cut each plum into 6 wedges; set aside.
- In a bowl whisk sugar, with butter until combined. Spread in a greased, round spring cake form and decoratively cover with plums.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in orange rind and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir into butter mixture alternatively with milk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of milk.
- Spoon over plums, smoothing the top.
- Bake in a 350F oven for about 55 minutes, until golden and cake tester inserted into the centre of your cake comes out clean. Remove form the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Run knife along the edges of the pan, open spring form and remove.
- You can serve this cake warm or cold and it is great with vanilla ice cream!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe – please send in your comments and suggestions – your input is always welcomed!