Last Updated on
I am sure that you and your family and friends will love these crisp sugar treats! You can make them simple or dress them up with colourful sprinkles for kids or use fancy cookies cutters for special occasions.
Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies:
1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup of oil
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoon of grated orange peel
1 tablespoon of vanilla
5-1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of finely ground nuts
1-1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Additional granulated sugar for coating
- In a large bowl, beat butter, oil and sugars until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel and vanilla.
- Combine flour, nuts,baking soda, salt, cream of tartar and cinnamon, gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1 inch balls, then roll in additional sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with a glass dipped in additional sugar. Good idea is to choose a glass that has patterned bottom – it will leave a nice design on your cookies.
- Bake at 350F for 10 – 12 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden .
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
This recipe will make about 8 dozen cookies – enough to share or freeze for later treats!
Hope you will enjoy these delicious treats – your comments or suggestions are always appreciated!