Last Updated on
I made this casserole couple of days ago and it turned out beautifully. If you have a lots of chicken meat leftovers, you can increase the quantities and double up on the meat layers, adding little sauce between each one. The other alteration you can make is to add another layer of bread slices between the ham layer and cheese topping. It’s OK to get creative with this recipe and use up your leftovers – it really turns out delicious, creamy and cheesy – the best use for leftover chicken or turkey!
- 8-10 slices of fresh Italian bread
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 cups of chopped leftover turkey
- 6 slices of ham or a cup of ham chunks
- 6 slices of swiss cheese
- 1 cup crispy of onion strips (such as Fresh Gourmet) or French fried onions – you can also use coarse bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray or grease with oil or butter
- Toast bread.
- Place milk in a microwave-safe container and heat on high, 45-60 seconds, until warmed through, but not boiling.
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When melted, whisk in flour. Continue whisking for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps, until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Place bread in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top with leftover chicken or turkey.
- Pour sauce over the meat layer.
- Top with ham slices or chunks of ham, then cheese slices.
- Sprinkle crispy onion strips or bread crumbs over top.
- Bake for 30 -45 minutes
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated.