Last Updated on
You can buy marshmallows easily and inexpensively – but making them gives you a piece of mind knowing what you use to make them. Make a batch and drop them into a cup of hot chocolate – that is the perfect cold day pick-me-up!
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1/3 cup of corn syrup
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 2- 7 gram envelopes of unflavoured gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- Stir granulated sugar with corn syrup, cold water and salt in small saucepan.
- Set over high heat.
- Bring to a boil and boil without stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in vanilla.
- While waiting for syrup to boil, pour warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Sprinkle in gelatin.
- Let stand 2 minutes to soften.
- Line 8-inch square baking dish with overhanging plastic wrap.
- Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Set mixer on high, then pour hot syrup in a stream down the side of the mixer bowl, beating gelatin mixture until it is thick and sticky and white peaks form – about 4 minutes.
- Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top as best you can with an oiled spatula.
- Let stand in room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Whisk icing sugar with cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Sift one third of mixture over top of marshmallows to dust the surface.
- Turn out onto cutting board.
- Discard plastic wrap.
- Sift half of the remaining sugar mixture overtop to dust the surface.
- Slice into cubes about 1 inch each.
- Roll each cut marshmallow in remaining sugar mixture until all sides are coated.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!