Last Updated on
Summer means barbecuing. Although we can grill just about anything, the favourites are still the basics: steaks being one of them. Here is a guide to picking your steaks, cooking guide and even a few great recipes. Enjoy!
There are two categories of steak cuts suitable for grilling: tender grilling steaks and less tender marinating steaks.
- Grilling steaks and the smaller grilling medallions are ready to cook right away, although you may want to marinate or coat them with a rub for flavour.
- Marinating steaks and marinating medallions need 12 to 24 hours in an acid based mixture to tenderize them. Grill marinating steaks until rare or medium-rare, beyond medium doneness they become tough.
- Bottom Sirloin Tri-tip Grilling Steak
- Rib Eye Grilling Steak
- Rib Grilling Steak
- Strip Loin Grilling Steak
- T-Bone Grilling Steak
- Tenderloin Grilling Steak
- Top Sirloin Grilling Steak
- Wing Grilling Steak
- Bottom Sirloin Tri-Tip Grilling Medallions
- Rib Eye Grilling Medallion
- Strip Loin Grilling Medallion
- Top Sirloin Grilling Medallion
- Eye of a Round Marinating Steak
- Flank Marinating Steak
- Full Round Marinating Steak
- Inside Round Marinating Steak
- Outside Round Marinating Steak
- Sirloin Tip Marinating Steak
1/2 – 3/4 inch thick steak – 3-4 minutes for rare; 4- minutes for medium
1 inch thick steak – 4/5 minutes for rare; 6-7 minutes for medium
1-1/2 inch thick steak – 8-10 minutes for rare; 10-14 minutes for medium
2 inch thick steak – 10 – 14 minutes for rare, 14 – 18 minutes for medium
Best Grilled Sirloin Steak:
Note: Ask the butcher to cut the steak 2 inches thick – especially if you like to cook it rare!
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of wine vinegar
4 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 top sirloin grilling steak, 2 inches thick
In large shallow dish, whisk together rosemary, oil, vinegar, garlic,Worcestershire sauce,salt and pepper.
Trim fat around edge of steak to 1/8 inch thickness. Slash fat just through to flesh at 1-inch intervals. Add to marinade, turning to coat; marinate for 20 minutes.
You can make the marinade ahead and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Ginger Butter:
2 tablespoons of rice or cider vinegar
2 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
4 cloves of garlic, mashed
4 rib eye steaks (about 6 oz. each)
1/3 cup of minced fresh coriander,parsley or green onion
1/4 cup of butter, softened
2 teaspoons of grated ginger root
1 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce
In small bowl, stir together coriander, butter, ginger and hot pepper sauce until smooth. Spoon onto plastic wrap, shape into log and wrap tightly. Refrigerate until firm. To make this ahead, refrigerate or freeze for up to 2 weeks.
In large shallow glass dish, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce oil and garlic. Add steaks, turning to coat; marinate for 20 minutes.
reserving marinade, place steak on greased grill over medium-high heat,brush generously with marinade. Close lid and grill until desired doneness – about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to warm plates, tent with foil and let stand 3-5 minutes. Slice butter into rounds and place on steaks.
Hope you enjoy this simple guide and the recipes! Let me know it you tried them – your comments are always very welcomed!