It is not always easy to frost a cake without having cake crumbs all over it or in it – and how many time did you wish to frost the cake so it is nice a smooth…? Here are a few steps to help you accomplish the perfect result:
How to frost a cake:
- Cool cake completely and use pastry brush to thoroughly, brush off all loose crumbs
- Place bottom layer, topside down on a plate. If desired, arrange strips of waxed paper under the edges of the cake to keep place clean. Remove after frosting.
- Cover top of the bottom layer, spreading the frosting evenly to the edge. For best results, use a metal spatula.
- Place top layer, bottom side down. over bottom layer. If decorating the cake, you will need a flat top, so cut off dome and place cake top side down.
- Frost sides first to give a “base coat”, then apply more frosting using free easy upward strokes, leaving a ridge of frosting around top of the cake.
- Spread frosting on top, making swirls with spatula or spoon. If decorating, have top and sides flat.
- If you want to have a smooth frosting, get a cup of lukewarm water (not warm or will will melt your frosting too much) and keep dipping your spatula in it as you smooth the frosting over your cake.
To frost Angel or Sponge cake:
Place top side down on cake plate. Frost as for layer cake to use thin frosting or glaze and spread over the top, allowing it to dribble down sides.
To frost cupcakes:
Dip top of each cupcake in frosting, turn to make a swirl on top.
Now you probably just wish you had a recipe for the great frosting! Check out my recipe section – there are several there!
And if you have a good frosting recipe – please send it – it will be no doubt appreciated by everyone!