Believe me – you don’t have to make a delicious pudding by opening a store-bought package! It is easy to make your own – and without and additives – so much better for you and your family!
Homemade Lemon Pudding
5 large eggs
1 quart of whole milk
6 tablespoons of sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Prepare a cold water bath by filling your sink with ice-cold water. It is a good idea to add a bowl of ice cubes to keep it really cold.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until they are well combined and frothy.
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and lemon zest over medium to medium-low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. When the sugar is dissolved, slowly add the eggs, being sure to stir constantly to keep the texture smooth and even. Raise the heat a little to speed up the process if necessary but never stop stirring, as the eggs may scramble. You will know that your pudding is done when the wooden spoon is coated – takes about 20 minutes of constant, patient, gentle stirring.
- Remove pan from heat and move it straight to the cold water bath, placing it carefully not to immerse too deeply so that the water gets in. Stir until the mixture is cooled and thickness even more.
- Transfer your pudding to serving bowl and refrigerate for 4-6 hours covered with plastic wrap.
- Serve with cookies, wafers or fruit – as desired.