Last Updated on November 14, 2009 by Hanna Trafford
I really don’t know too many people who don’t like cheesecakes! The good old favourites are the ones with cherries, strawberries or other fruits topping them. Personally – I love chocolate cheesecakes – but the one I am sending your way today is quickly becoming a favourite for me! So if you like the taste of apples and caramel – this one’s for you!
Homemade Caramel Apple Cheesecake:
1-1/2 cups of cinnamon graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cups of sugar, divided
1/4 cup of butter, melted
1 package of caramels (14 oz.)
2/3 cups of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of chopped pecans. divided
2 packages (8 oz. each) of cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons of flour, divided
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1-1/2 cups of chopped, peeled apples
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Place a 9-inch springform pan on a double thickness of aluminum foil and securely wrap foil around the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of prepared pan.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for about 10 minutes or until slightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook and stir caramels and milk until melted and smooth. Pour 1 cup over crust and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of pecans. Set remaining caramel mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of flour and remaining sugar until smooth. Add eggs, beat on low speed until just combined.
- Combine apples, cinnamon and remaining flour , fold into cream cheese mixture and pour into crust.
- Place springform pan into a larger baking pan, add one inch of hot water to the larger baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Reheat caramel mixture if necessary, gently spoon over cheesecake. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until centre is just set. Remove pan fro water bath and cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edge to loosen sides. Cool for one hour longer – best is to refrigerate it overnight before serving.
This recipe may be a little more labour intensive than others, but believe me – it is well worth the effort!
Hope you will enjoy this delicious cheesecake and I look forward to your comments, suggestions and experiences – your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!