This is the first of series of recipes using beer. I have been collecting various recipes, so you will be seeing appetizers, dips, soups, main courses and even desserts – all cooked with beer.
I used Waterloo Dark beer from our local Brick Brewery and it was absolutely perfect!Check out the links if you want to find out more about Brick Brewing Company and see what other say about Waterloo Dark beer.
The reason I decided to start the Cooking with Beer series is that I remember my grandma using beer for breading schnitzels, making stews and gravies and I thought there must be a good reason, because she was an awesome cook!
This first recipe didn’t fail me – sausages cooked in dark beer in a slow cooker-Incredibly simple, put together in only a few minutes. The aroma when cooking is great and the taste even better. Try it – I am sure you will love it!
Sausages in Beer
- 1/3 cup of honey mustard
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 18 oz, (1 large can) of dark beer (Waterloo Dark is what I used)
- 6 Grillwurst sausages (I used Pillers Grillwurst because I like the way it is seasoned)
- 1 large onion
- Combine honey mustard and brown sugar directly in your slow cooker
- Whisk in beer
- Add sausage pieces
- Top with onions and mix
- Cook on low 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally
That was easy, wasn’t it? Please try this recipe and send me your comments, suggestions and photos if you can. Your input is always very welcomed and much appreciated!