Last Updated on December 22, 2022 by Hanna Trafford
These cookies are great for anytime of the year, but making them for Christmas is almost a must. The combined aroma of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg makes baking them as big a treat as eating them. You can makes them ahead of time – I would recommend a week before Christmas will be good and store them in an airtight container until it is time to have offer this great treat to your family and friends!
- 1- 1/2 cups of butter (no substitutes), softened
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of molasses
- 4 -1/2 cups of flour
- 3 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Additional sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in molasses until well mixed.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-12 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe – please let me know if you tried it and how the cookies turned out for you. Your input is always welcomed and greatly appreciated!