Last Updated on
Still looking for that special stuffing for your Thanksgiving turkey? Here are a few for you that are easy to put together and taste great!
Apple Pecan Stuffing
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups dry wheat bread cubes, about 8 slices
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine chicken broth, celery, onion, butter, and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread cubes, chopped apples, chopped pecans, sage, cinnamon, and pepper.
- Pour broth and vegetable mixture over the bread cubes.
- Gently stir to moisten. Spoon into a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.
- May also use as a stuffing for an 8 to 10 pound turkey.
Bread and Oyster Stuffing
- 1 pound white bread slices, dried in a 250° oven for 1 hour, about 10 to 12 cups torn
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup milk, scalded
- 16 ounces oysters, drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Tear the dried bread up into a large bowl; sprinkle with warm milk then toss.
- Add onion and celery mixture and the drained oysters.
- Stir gently to mix ingredients together.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly but gently.
- Makes enough stuffing for a 14 pound turkey.
- This stuffing may be cooked in shallow baking pans, covered with foil, for about 25 minutes at 325°.
- Remove foil to brown just before serving.
Wild Rice and Mushroom Dressing
- 1 cup of wild rice
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 2 cups of cubed crustless bread
- 1 cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms caps, cremini and oyster mushrooms
- ½ cup of diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon of each salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 eggs beaten
- In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook rice covered until tender and split – about 40 minutes.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt all but 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Place bread in bowl and drizzle with butter, tossing to distribute evenly.
- Spread on rimmed baking sheet and toast in a 450F oven, tossing once until golden – about 8 minutes. Add to rice.
- In skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat; sauté mushrooms just until browning at edges, about 7 minutes.
- Add to rice mixture along with red pepper, sage, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Stir in stock and eggs. Spread in greased 13 x 9 inch glass baking pan; cover with foil and bake at 375F for 45 minutes.
Hope you enjoyed these recipes and that they helped to make yout Thanksgiving dinner a total success! Please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences – your input is always welcomed!