Using real maple syrup in baking is a great idea! This delicious cake will take you only about 20 minutes to put together and I know that you and your family will enjoy it!
PS – If you like raisins or walnuts – add them in!
Homemade Maple Cake Recipe
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) of unsalted butter at room temperature , plus more for greasing the baking pan
- 2-1/2 cups of all purpose flour, plus more for dusting the baking pan
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cups of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups of sour cream
- Raising or walnuts or both if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour 9 inch square baking pan and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine – set it aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter, maple syrup and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Mix in vanilla
- With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture in 3 parts and sour cream in 2 parts (begin and end with flour mixture)
- Transfer batter to pepared pan, smooth the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean – 35-40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan.
- Turn out of the pan onto a wire rack and cool completely, right side up.
Make Maple Glaze:
In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted. Sift in 1-1-1/2 cups of confectioner’s sugar – whisk to combine. You can adjust the consistency with syrup or sugar if necessary.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments and suggestions, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!